Sunday, March 11, 2012

Problems with Analogies

Whenever I get into a discussion or argument about the existence of god, I don't usually like to bother with a whole lot of analogies. I think, more than anything else, it misses the big picture about what religion means to people.

One of the main problems theists have with atheists is that many theists believe that they have a personal relationship with their god, and use their holy texts to fulfill a philosophical and spiritual meaning in their lives. It takes a lot to help someone realize that there is another way we can assign meaning in our lives, and one thing that doesn't help is to make religious beliefs sound personally cheap.

For example, Richard Dawkins, whom I generally like, likes to make the analogy that belief in a god is fundamentally no different than believing in unicorns or fairies, as we have equal evidence for all of these things (which is to say no evidence at all). While Professor Dawkins' argument is fairly sound, what does this argument to someone who filters the meaning in their lives through their religion? Well, it pisses them off, that's what! A good analogy doesn't necessarily have to be effective in order to be true, but it does have to be true to be effective. At least Richard got half of it right. Atheists are not the only ones who use analogies to try and stump the competition and ridicule the opposition, but the ones I respect tend to at least be careful about the logic.

The thing I don't like about these analogies is not that they serve to ridicule the opposition, as I think ridicule is an effective weapon against ridiculous beliefs. No, the thing I don't like about them is that it places the believer in a position of ridicule next to the atheist position, which is placed in a position of sensibility. It's a "Ha ha I'm better than you" argument, which never works.

 I don't think ridicule works in analogy. It can certainly work as a direct approach: Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...(taken from reddit as the first google response to the search term "zombie jew") 

Humour and ridicule can sometimes address legitimate criticisms of a belief without having to compare it to what's being argued against. I know that when I came to the realization that I was an atheist, I had to convince myself more than anyone had to convince me. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to respond positively to an analogy that ridicules them, a certain kind of open-mindedness. Being that many believers that will have the conversation are indeed closed minded, it may be better to approach that situation from a different angle.

3 comments:

  1. I've been curious,as an atheist do you completely discredit anything spiritual? I've talked to many people from africa who have stories of demon possession...are they all fools to believe that our lives are strictly physical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not be so hasty as to call them fools. It's in our nature to appeal to the unknown.

    Before exploring this subject in more detail than I can reasonably justify, I'd like to ask you to define "spiritual." More often than not it's used as a blanket term for many different things, so I'd like to clarify what you mean.

    As far as demonic possession goes, it can certainly be a complicated issue. For one thing, prescientific notions of possession are easily exploited in a lot of places including Africa -- it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that the clergy's influence on a desperate and gullible public could produce such stories with strong conviction. However, strong convictions don't impress me much. Either side of this argument could simply be a matter of opinion all things being equal.

    But, all things are not equal, and that's a good thing. To quote Leo Igwe (from the randi.org website): "The belief that children can be possessed by evil spirits is a myth invented by primitive people to explain or to try and come to terms with problems or ailments they did not understand or did not know how to treat. This belief is still entertained today by many people across the world due to fear, ignorance, and religious indoctrination." What is seriously lacking in the case of possession is evidence -- It takes a specific set of circumstances to reproduce the effects of so called possession, and those circumstances are (generally) these: It typically takes place in a church, under the supervision of a religious leader, in the company of a religious congregation, and to a faithful member of that congregation. This is certainly not an unbiased group in any sense, and if any one of these people were asked by the scientific community to subject themselves to a test to prove their claim, I'd be willing to bet that plea would be rejected.

    So no, they aren't necessarily "fools" to believe that their lives are strictly physical, but they may not be aware of what steps must be taken to prove otherwise -- a lack of knowledge isn't stupidity or foolishness, it's ignorance. And ignorance is a disease that can be cured through scientific education. In all cases of demonic possession that I have ever observed, there is always a rational explanation available that offers far fewer assumptions, and more genuine answers.

    I'd like our thoughts on these comments, as well as a detailed explanation of what the word "spiritual" means to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem I have with this argument is that you place "science" on a pillar higher than a persons experience. The problem is that science as far as I understand is just people making observations. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that if I were to call myself a scientist my documented opinion would be respected more.

    ReplyDelete